git-debrebase - new tool for managing Debian packaging in git
Track: Packaging, policy, and Debian infrastructure
Type: Long talk (45 minutes)
Room: Yushan (玉山) Live Stream
Time: Jul 30 (Mon), 15:00
With git-debrebase the Debian changes to the upstream source are represented and manipulated as git commits, with one commit corresponding to one quilt patch. However, unlike with gbp-pq and git-dpm, git-debrebase uses just a single git branch.
git-debrebase branches are:
- directly buildable
- directly editable with git-commit(1) (whether of Debian files, upstream files, or both);
- directly useable with dgit (without –quilt= option);
- automatically made fast forwarding when published; and
- have a history useful for git log, git blame etc.
Unlike with gbp pq, there is no need to switch back and forth between public and patch queue branches and there is no need to apply and unapply patches. Unlike git-dpm, git-debrebase requires no in-tree metadata.
Uploads of git-debrebase branches done with dgit publish the source both as:
- a git branch which anyone new to Debian can immediately use, and which Debian contributors can directly work on;
- a perfect `3.0 (quilt)’ source package as expected by non-git users.